Even die-hard fans of classic Hollywood will be surprised by some of these facts! Let’s examine some bizarre tidbits surrounding the exceptional talents of Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and Judy Garland.
1. On The Wizard of Oz set, Judy Garland was slapped by director Victor Fleming because she had a giggle fit while filming a scene.
2. Fearing blemishes, Marilyn Monroe washed her face 15 times a day.
3. Audrey Hepburn wanted to be a prima ballerina, but was told she was too tall at 5’7″.
4. Judy Garland was only paid $500 a week while shooting The Wizard of Oz. The dog who played Toto earned 1/4 the amount of Judy’s salary.
5. The racy flesh-colored dress Monroe wore while singing the infamous “Happy Birthday Mr. President,” was covered with 2,500 rhinestones and was so tight that she had to be sewn into it.
6. Audrey Hepburn was a trained dental assistant before she became an actress.
7. It was not Judy Garland who was the front runner to play Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, but Shirley Temple. It is said that 20th Century Fox refused to lend Shirley to MGM. Either way, it was eventually acknowledged that Shirley wouldn’t have had the vocal chops to cut it, and Judy won the role.
8. Audrey Hepburn was extremely self-conscious about her role in Breakfast at Tiffany’s because she knew that the book’s author, Truman Capote, was disappointed that Marilyn Monroe had not been secured to play Holly Golightly.
9. Monroe almost chose the screen name of Jean Adair before settling on Marilyn Monroe.
10. Judy Garland’s real name was Frances Ethel Gumm. When her “Gumm” surname was announced during vaudeville acts, the audience would laugh, prompting Frances to rename herself after a popular ’30s song.
Who is your favorite classic Hollywood starlet? Sound off in the comments below!